It’s easy to think that the garden is less important in winter when you might not be outside as much and the days are shorter, but given good structure and some subtle but carefully conceived lighting you can enjoy your garden through the colder darker months too.
Here are some tips for the perfect winter garden :
It’s easy to think that the garden is less important in winter when you might not be outside as much and the days are shorter, but given good structure and some subtle but carefully conceived lighting you can enjoy your garden through the colder darker months of winter too.
Here are some tips for the winter garden :
- Good structure really makes a difference in winter when shapes of lawns, paths, trees are more obvious.
- All the best views should be seen from the cosier rooms that you use mostly at this time of year.
- Include some winter flowers such as hellebores, crocus and snowdrops close to the house. Mahonia, Lonicera fragrantissima, Hamamelis and Sarcococca will fill the air with their scent. Evergreen shapes and tree silhouettes are both important in the garden and these can be used with great effect, especially when you think of the direction of the shadows they will create across a lawn or terrace.
- I love big lawns all year round, but the sparkle of frost over a large lawn is really magical – so don’t overlook the beauty of your lawn when it’s cold.
- Use fairy lights in order to create that extra bit of sparkle. A potted Christmas tree can be positioned outdoors for the festive time of year.
- Garden lighting can be used to bring your garden alive in the darker months
- Position some special winter flowers and a bench, somewhere where you can walk to on a sunny day so that you have an incentive for getting outside as often as you can.
- For the more adventurous a fire pit is fun in winter (as well as the summer) and can be used to roast chestnuts or marshmallows and create some lovely family memories.
If you’d like to see some garden transformations see our facebook page Selina Botham – Designs for all Seasons or follow us on Instagram @designsforallseasons
If you would like to redesign your garden and need some professional help contact Selina on 07894 553 202