Summer is the last season to consider in this seasonal series. We get such lovely long, light evenings in summer in Britain and so summer if often when people use their gardens the most. It may seem a long way away on a dismal January day, but if you want to make any changes in your garden for next summer you need to start now really. Here are a few ideas you could consider to give your garden a touch of ‘summer sizzle’ in 2018
- How about swinging in a Hammock in the shade of a tree?
- A summer house or garden office to work in or sit in for shade and shelter.
- A swimming pool or splash pool to cool of in.
Flowers of any colour you like … there are so many to choose from in summer. Pick those which will grow well in your soil type and take care to choose ones that will like the aspect you have in mind for them e.g. lavenders need full sun so there is no point planting them in the shade.
- Don’t miss out on cooking outside and have fun with a BBQ or gas grill and even an outdoor kitchen for summer parties.
- You could include a fire-pit for the cooler evenings.
- Allow room for games too (if that is important for you), bowls, croquet, volleyball or badminton can all be played on a flat lawn. Football of course, though the nets can ruin the view.
- Most children these days seem to have a trampoline and these double up for adults and children alike to lie and star gaze on a hot summers night.
- Grow edible flowers for salads. Try violas and chives which are pretty and tasty. Day lilies and nasturtiums too add a brighter edible note.
- Growing vegetables can be worthwhile too and a quick project is some mangetout and rocket. Tomatoes are normally successful and so much tastier than shop bought ones.
A well designed garden will lead you outside and encourage you to be spend time surrounded by nature and enjoying the great outdoors, which is at your fingertips in your very own garden. A great garden makes a ‘staycation’ seem appealing and every weekend like a holiday.
If you’d like to see some garden transformations see our facebook page Selina Botham – Designs for all Seasons or follow us on Instagram @designsforallseasons
If you would like to redesign your garden and need some professional help contact Selina on 07894 553 202